The Kiwanis Club of Lansing-Everett was organized at a Permanent Organization meeting held on October 13, 1951, at the Chateau LaVeque, 3501 S. Cedar Street in Lansing, with 30 charter members. The Club’s official Charter date is October 15, 1951.
The Club Charter was received at a Charter Night Meeting held on December 12, 1951, at Walter French Junior High School.
Walter F. Patenge, then Governor of the Michigan District of Kiwanis International, made the Charter presentation. The Charter Officers of the Club were: President, Lee D. Grinnell; Vice President, Lyle A. Fuller; and Secretary-Treasurer George G. Tanner.
The area served by the Kiwanis Club of Lansing-Everett was bounded on the north by Mt. Hope Avenue; on the south by Jolly Road; on the east by Aurelius Road; and on the west by Beal Street. The club met at the Penway Coffee Shop, 5136 S. Pennsylvania Avenue, each Tuesday evening at 6:30 pm.
The Club merged with the Kiwanis Club of Colonial Village in 1981. And, in 1999 it changed its name to the Kiwanis Club of South Lansing to better reflect the area served by the organization.
In keeping with the Kiwanis tradition of preparing youth for leadership roles, it sponsored a Builders Club at Otto Middle School in the 1980’s and has sponsored one at Gardner Middle School since 1999. In 2001, it sponsored a K-Kids Club at Willow Elementary School. The Club also sponsored the Everett High School Key Club in the 1990’s.
The Club has awarded the traveling trophy for the Capital Area Athletic Conference’s (CAAC) Boy’s Basketball Champion since 1963 and the Girl’s Basketball Champion since 1988.
In 2004, club members raised the money for and lead the build of the Hawk Island Playground. A second playground was built for the Maplewood Womens' Shelter in 2012.
The club began its affiliation with The Dictionary Project in 2005. Members distribute dictionaries to all third-grade students in the Lansing School District, including public, charter and parochial schools. In conjunction with several local Kiwanis Clubs, all third graders receive a dictionary each year.
The club has been an active member of the South Lansing community since its inception in 1951 and continues that tradition into the 21st century.
*Achieved while a member of another Kiwanis Club